Create & Install FB Pixel For Your Site
In order to start, you must begin from within your Ads Manager account.
If you are already managing multiple FB pages, consider signing up for a Facebook Business Manager account. If you intend to manage multiple ad campaigns for multiple clients, it is important that you are using this tool.
Get Additional Facebook instructions at this link: FB Tutorial
If you are not yet using Business Manager, you can create a pixel from the Ads Manager tool.
Login to your Facebook account and visit Ads Manager. Next, click on Tools » Pixels to create your Facebook pixel.
When you click on the create pixel button, it will show you a popup. Enter a name for your pixel which corresponds to your business. Press the create pixel button to continue. If you have multiple brands - you will want to create a pixel for each brand.
You will see a success message with the unique ID of your pixel. Now it's time to 'install' your new Pixel!
The Pixel can be manually installed. However, if you are using a platform such as WordPress or Squarespace, etc. you have the option to install the pixel as a software package.
For WordPress sites, the easiest way to install the Pixel is to use the integration package and install as a plugin. After selecting the option for WordPress you will have the option too download the Pixel code as a .ZIP file.
The .ZIP file can be installed the same way that a plugin is installed.
However, some websites may have themes that support page-specific scripts. If this is the case for your website, you may want to install the Pixel code manually so you have more control and can apply it to individual landing pages and funnel sequences.
If someone else manages your website, Facebook will provide you instruction to email them the pixel code. Otherwise, click on ‘Install Pixel Now’ button to install it yourself.
Facebook will now show you the Pixel code that you need to install on your website. After selecting ‘Manually Install…’ just copy the pixel code, and you are ready to install it in on your website platform. The instructions for installing the Pixel code is similar for most platforms.
Paste the Facebook Pixel code in the header section of your website. For WordPress, this is the header section and just before the </head> in your WordPress theme. Do this is by going to go to the Settings » Insert Headers and Footers page.
Paste your Facebook Pixel code in the header section and click on the save button to store your changes.
At this point you have successfully installed Facebook Pixel on your website. Now, return to Facebook Ads Manager and click on the new Pixel you just created. Follow the instructions for testing the new Pixel. Facebook will send some test data to your site to validate that the Pixel is active and tracking events.
Tip: Download and install the Facebook Pixel Helper extension for Chrome. This will enable you to view, test and troubleshoot pixel information for each page of your website.
Things you can do now that you have your Facebook Pixel installed on your site:
- Create a Custom Audiences
- Custom Audiences enable you to target people you already know with ads.
- Custom Audiences can be people who have visited your website, people who have interacted with your page (likes) and people who have signed up on your email lists.
- Retarget and Remarket to Custom Audiences
- You can now create specific ads for each your custom audiences
- For example, you may create one type of add that is only shown to people who have viewed your product catalog, and a different type of ad to people who have signed up for your email list.
- Create Lookalike Audiences
- This is where Facebook advertising is very powerful - Lookalike audiences are new audiences that are based on your custom audiences.
- For example, you can create a new audience based on people who have subscribed to your email list. Facebook will create an audience consisting of entirely new people who share similar attributes as those in your email list audience.
- The possibilities for leveraging custom audiences and Lookalike Audiences are massive. Lookalike Audiences can be created for each step of your online sales process.